• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with query
Hi all,
I’m trying to convert an existing project from a relational database.

I’m hoping I can get some help constructing a query that’s fairly straightforward in SQL...

In this scenario there are 3 tables:
- table 1 has a list of dates
- table 2 has encounter data that includes a foreign key for person and links to table 1 by date (table1.date = table2.date)
- table 3 has person data and links to table 2 with personID (table2.personID = table3.personID)

So basically selecting a date in from table 1 should retrieve all encounters in table 2 with the same date and in each retrieved result, the personID foreign key should retrieve person data from table 3 when presenting the data.

in SQL i’d just use a SELECT with JOIN statements to retrieve this in one go.

Is this feasible with liveCloud? Or would i need to construct an array running 2 separate queries?
Alternatively, should the data structure change to include all person data in the encounter table for example?

grateful for any pointers/suggestions...
Hi Stam,

The following code will work with your existing data model. It will give you an array with the data for the people that match the criteria.

Code:
local tEncounterDataQueryA, tSelectedDate, tForeignKeys, tPersonDataA

put cdb_Query("date", "=", tSelectedDate, "encounterDataTable", "cloud", "recordData") into tEncounterDataQueryA

repeat for each key xRecordID in tEncounterDataQueryA
     put tEncounterDataQueryA[xRecordID]["foreignKey"] & lf after tForeignKeys
end repeat
delete char -1 of tForeignKeys

put cdb_read("personDataTable", tForeignKeys, "cloud") into tPersonDataA

Let me know if you have any questions.
(10-08-2020, 04:56 PM)efrain.c Wrote: Hi Stam,

The following code will work with your existing data model. It will give you an array with the data for the people that match the criteria.

Code:
local tEncounterDataQueryA, tSelectedDate, tForeignKeys, tPersonDataA

put cdb_Query("date", "=", tSelectedDate, "encounterDataTable", "cloud", "recordData") into tEncounterDataQueryA

repeat for each key xRecordID in tEncounterDataQueryA
     put tEncounterDataQueryA[xRecordID]["foreignKey"] & lf after tForeignKeys
end repeat
delete char -1 of tForeignKeys

put cdb_read("personDataTable", tForeignKeys, "cloud") into tPersonDataA

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Efrain - that pretty much matches what i was planning to do (i.e. run two different queries).

Is there a worthwhile speed benefit to changning the data model to include all data in a single table do you think?
Or would any benefit be too negligible to be worth the trouble?
The speed benefits will vary depending on factors like network speed and physical location relative to the servers but it should be roughly by a factor of 2 since it'll be 1 network call instead of 2.

If this is an action that is performed often, you will see a worthwhile speed benefit if you sync the data from the cloud to the device on startup and run local queries instead of running cloud queries.