• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Livecloud on a website
Hi,

In my use-case I may need to let people register from a website.
Is there any API I can use for that?

Smile
Hi Philip,

At this time, we do not have a RESTful API to access LiveCloud.
It should be possible to have a LiveCode Server setup to access your database using local APIs.
You would use sync APIs to keep the database current with the cloud.
The LiveCode server would be able to use all the CanelaDB APIs (both local and cloud calls).

It would be nice to have RESTful access. Based on our current projects, this feature is not in the near future.
(10-18-2021, 05:01 PM)mark_talluto Wrote: Hi Philip,

At this time, we do not have a RESTful API to access LiveCloud.
It should be possible to have a LiveCode Server setup to access your database using local APIs.
You would use sync APIs to keep the database current with the cloud.
The LiveCode server would be able to use all the CanelaDB APIs (both local and cloud calls).

It would be nice to have RESTful access. Based on our current projects, this feature is not in the near future.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer.
I  was thinking about the server option too but thought it's less convenient of course.

I'll figure out something...

Best,

Phil
Sounds good Phil. If you come up with something, let me know how it goes.
(10-20-2021, 10:40 PM)mark_talluto Wrote: Sounds good Phil. If you come up with something, let me know how it goes.

With the advent of LiveCode's revamping of their web capabilities, it would be nice to get some LiveCloud REST APIs built now. Please?
(04-03-2022, 01:06 PM)Jose Damaso Wrote:
(10-20-2021, 10:40 PM)mark_talluto Wrote: Sounds good Phil. If you come up with something, let me know how it goes.

With the advent of LiveCode's revamping of their web capabilities, it would be nice to get some LiveCloud REST APIs built now. Please?

Hi Jose,

Yes, I can see great value in this. We are talking with LiveCode about supporting LiveCloud and Appli in the LC 10 release. 
I always want to be transparent about our roadmaps and what we are doing.

We will release the Appli MVP in three weeks. This project is consuming all of our time. From this project, we have improved CanelaDB and LiveCloud to support new features.

More improvements are coming to the database and cloud offering from our work on Appli. I think they will benefit everyone from all of this work.

We are hiring more developers to improve our ability to work on things in parallel. Our most recent hire is Tom Glod. He is already diving into the fray and making a positive difference.

-Mark
Hey Mark,

It sounds fascinating.

I hope that the user will remain as simple as it is now. And that it will not become a costly option.
I'm developing something right now and hope to publish it pretty soon.

I'm already using version 10 dp3. And indeed a REST API is something I'm still looking for very much.

I know you do all you can to make a great product and to have more integration with LiveCode is kinda exciting.

Best
Thanks Philippe,

The current pricing for LiveCloud will remain. There will be a new plan coming where you get access to Appli and LiveCloud from the same account. It will be more expensive, but it will provide a new level features in regards to having access to a new IDE. The CanelaDB APIs will remain available to the existing tiers as well. To be clear, they will stay in sync with each other.

-Mark
Hi Mark,

Yes, that's what I was afraid of.

I know there will be new functionalities, and that's exciting.
However, this is quite typical of Livecode products.

I'm using many other products, and very few of them have that philosophy.
And I believe that it plays a large part in the lack of adoption of LiveCode.

The most successful products I know (without talking about open source projects, of course) Ex: Maya, Adobe, and Dropbox, do not separate their products and complicate the thinking.
Maya, for example, tried this approach by having plugins or different versions. It was a failure.
Adobe was intentionally splitting their products, Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, etc... With significant overlaps in functionalities. You had to buy many products and juggle between licenses and functionalities.
It failed, and they now offer all of them as a complete package. It still annoying to use different software, but that kinda makes sense.

When they announce new exciting stuff, it's usually available for their existing users, with some nuances, of course. But this is generally more about the resources. More data.
They will never have a tiny photoshop and a photoshop on steroids. It's photoshop with all in it.

I believe it is more beneficial to have a product that is cost-effective and grows in functionality without increasing its cost.
You profit by increasing your client base, encouraging them to use more resources, not by charging them more for the tool that will let them use your resources more.

After all, if I succeed (and I will succeed faster with full functionalities), I will want a plan with more data, right?

I don't think your strategy is good, but hey, it is yours, and I respect it.

I merely provide my 2 cent opinion, and I hope it will influence you.

Phil
Hi Phil,

I appreciate the time you took to express your thoughts. I may not have clearly articulated what we are doing. My response may be a bit long with more information than you want. I am sure it will help me with an extended elevator pitch or a fun origin conversation.

We do not want to splinter our products in any way. And, we want to augment what LiveCode has already done while exploring alternative methods for app making.

Here is the lineup in a brief form.
  • -LiveCode is an IDE, full-code editor, and multi-platform executable maker.
  • -CanelaDB is a database that requires a LiveCode license.
  • -LiveCloud is a backend that works with CanelaDB and LiveCode.
  • -Appli is an IDE, low-code editor, and end-to-end distribution solution via a player available in the iOS and Android stores. It does not require a LiveCode license. Though, if you have one, you can export LiveCode script to Appli.
Our dream is to provide a simple method for working with databases. CanelaDB is a vital step in the right direction. CanelaDB's local APIs are free to use forever. There is more to do in this space, but it meets today's primary goal.

Soon after developing the local APIs, we thought it would be great to bring this simplicity to cloud calls. We developed LiveCloud to use CanelaDB with almost no changes to anyone's code. We charge a nominal fee to cover a portion of the expense of managing the various regions. Canela subsidizes the rest.

We use LiveCode for more than 90% of our development. It is a fantastic tool for making software. We think that UI work is tedious. It is even especially challenging for mobile development.

We started work on a plugin for the LiveCode IDE that would allow us to bind data to fields. The progress on the plugin inspired us to do more. But, our ideas became too big to shoehorn into an already well-thought development environment. LiveCode works as intended.

A new IDE that modeled the design of popular tools like Adobe XD, Sketch, and Figma, allowed logic with drag-and-drop ease, and output a working app that would not require an Apple/Google developer account would be excellent! Appli was born of everything that came before it.

Appli will appeal to a subset of the LiveCode community. To help with integration, we developed a plugin that will export LiveCode scripts into Appli. We also want Appli to be helpful to an audience outside of the LiveCode community. Appli is a standalone service that does not require a LiveCode license. If you have an LC license, you can take advantage of your coding skill and use the plugin we developed. And, LiveCode generates income with every Appli sale - a winning scenario for all.

Designers will be able to do the work they do, using the flow they know and love today, with a final result that can be the final product. At a minimum, the output would be the very best mockup possible.

Companies big and small need to quickly create specialized apps that work just for them. Big companies, in particular, will not need to burden their IT. Instead, they can be productive with a tool to support the non-developer. Appli does well with data and views.

As you can see, Appli is not a better or different version of what we created. Appli is instead a tool that brings all of our developer products together. Appli's tiers will still allow you to access CanelaDB and LiveCloud for LiveCode development. Plus, you get all of Appli.

A larger market will have demands that exceed what our current cloud pricing can support. It will not serve anyone if we do not appropriately price Appli so we can continue to build the team needed to make this service reach all of its goals.

Our MVP's first release will be a taste of what we have planned for you and everyone. Feel free to give it a try. Send me your email, and I'll provide you free, early access to Appli. Please email us at hello@appli.io.

-Mark