• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Methods for integrating cdbUsers table with stored user content
Once in a while, we will provide support via email. I want to share that experience with everyone with the hope that others will benefit. When this happens, We'll leave out the person's name.

On to the question:
I've never really done nosql, was always able to query specific records against a user_id.
I want a quick way to save and query all of a user's records in this nosql way.

Do you see any limits or problems with creating a table for each user? and place all their data there?

I know for low numbers of user's thats not a big deal.
How about 10,000 tables?

The response:
There is always more than one way to model your data.

Method 1
You could use your cdbRecordID (primary key) for each user in the cdbUsers table as a linking key (foreign key) to records in another table.

cdbUsers table
Record 1: [a2ad3bc9-8ef8-4c36-9c4d-00d109600cd9] [Marco] [Polo]

someDataTable that contains data for all of your users
Record 34545 [0a43839f-ad5c-4089-a864-c6bfa10942be] [a2ad3bc9-8ef8-4c36-9c4d-00d109600cd9] [import] [data] [in] [these] [columns]

TableID:fbb12a0d-8189-4fb4-a906-12166445f54b
0a43839f-ad5c-4089-a864-c6bfa10942be

//Untested come code that should work:
//GET THE RECORD ID OF A PARTICULAR USER
local tOutputA, tRecordID
put cdb_query("email","=","marco@polo.com","cdbUsers","cloud","recordData") into tOutputA
put tOutputA["cdb"]["cdbRecordID"] into tRecordID

//USE THE cdbRecordID FROM THE FIRST QUERY TO FIND ALL RELATED DATA TO THIS USER
local tOutputA
put cdb_query("userForeignKey","=",tRecordID,"someDataTable","cloud","recordData") into tOutputA

//tOutputA will contain an array that for every record in the 'someDataTable' table that is related to your user. 
//For this to work, every commit to this table needs you to include the foreign key value in each record for every user.
//Since the user is probably authenticated, you can get this value one time during their session and use it everywhere you need.

Method 2
You can store the tableID in the cdbUsers table as a foreign key.
The optimization is that you can read on a single table and know that all the data is related to that particular user. You will not need to query a table to find related data. 

I am in favor of this model. The only negative is that a user can not create a table programmatically. It is something we intend to resolve. You could pre-create tables with a developer-signed app programmatically. If you get serious with this method, we can look at a longer-term solution to make this happen. 

You can connect as many tables as you like to a particular user. Just create the foreign key columns in the cdbUsers table to track the tableIDs.

Limitations
The free account “Mist” and entry level account “Rain" are running on a shared cloud cluster. They are great for developing concepts and low-data consumption apps. They will not work out for you if you plan to have 10k or more users. 

You will want to build a “Storm” account to customize the cluster just for your app. If you have 10k paying customers, our Storm plans are cheap. 

Messages In This Thread
Methods for integrating cdbUsers table with stored user content - by mark_talluto - 10-27-2021, 11:05 PM