• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set a value for all records?
Hi all,
I'm probably missing something basic here, so grateful for any help.

I've recently modified a table with the addition of 3 new keys and would like to set a default value for all records for these 3 keys.
I know i can read the entire table into an array, loop through this in liveCode, make the changes and then do an update back to liveCloud.

However this is cumbersome; i had envisaged that i may be able to use batchMerge, or batchUpdate to do this and simply pass "*" as the cdbRecordID, but this does not work - cdb_result shows me the error is The specified cdbRecordID is invalid: *

Is there a way to do this directly? If not will just process in LiveCode and update all records, but am hoping i've missed something more straightforward...

Many thanks
Stam
Hi Stam,

You are correct, batchMerge and batchUpdate do no accept "*" for cdbRecordID. You can use cdb_list(yourTableName, "cloud") to get a line delimited list of all the recordIDs in a table. Then repeat for each line to populate the array for a batchMerge.

Let me know if you need any help or run into any issues.

- Efrain
(04-22-2021, 06:17 PM)efrain.c Wrote: Hi Stam,

You are correct, batchMerge and batchUpdate do no accept "*" for cdbRecordID. You can use cdb_list(yourTableName, "cloud") to get a line delimited list of all the recordIDs in a table. Then repeat for each line to populate the array for a batchMerge.

Let me know if you need any help or run into any issues.

- Efrain

Thanks Efrain,
I wasn't aware of cdb_list, will use that...

Best regards
Stam

PS: It would be good to have a function that replaces all values -- similar to 'replace field contents' command in FileMaker Pro, where you can replace the field in all records of a table with a static value, an auto-incrementing serial number or a formula/function (and it's mighty fast)... Any mileage in submitting that as a feature request for this?